Mocha Cake with Coffee Buttercream
Mocha Cake with Coffee Buttercream Frosting
Best eaten day of baking or can be frozen.
MOCHA CAKE WITH COFFEE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
- 6 Eggs
- 208 grams (7.3 ounces) Sugar
- 134 grams (4.7 oz) Self Raising Flour
- 32 grams (1.1 oz) Corn Flour / Starch
- 14 grams (0.49 oz) Cocoa Powder unsweetened
- 7 grams (0.2 oz) Instant Coffee Powder not granules or ground beans
- 60 grams (2.11 oz) Unsalted Butter melted
COFFEE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING:
- 255 Grams (8.9 oz) Unsalted Butter at room temperature
- 450 grams (15.8 oz) Powdered Icing Sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon Salt
- ½ tablespoon Instant Coffee dissolved in 1 1/2 tablespoons boiling water
TO MAKE THE MOCHA CAKE:
- Preheat the oven to 180 c / 356 f (160 c / 320 f Fan Forced)
- Grease two (19 cm /7.4 in) sponge tins and line each of the bases with baking paper
- .In a bowl sift together flour, cocoa, cornflourIn another bowl, separate the egg whites from the yolks and put the whites into a mixing bowl.
- Beat the whites until they form peaks that stand up.
- Add the sugar a little at a time and beat well repeat has been added and until all the sugar has dissolved.
- Next add the egg yolks one at a time and beat.
- Gently fold in the flours, cocoa and coffee into the egg mixture.
- Lastly add the melted butter and gently mix it through the sponge batter.
- Scrape half the batter into one greased cake pan and the other half into the other pan
- Immediately bake in the oven for about 15 minutes or until the cake springs back when lightly touched in the middle.
- Cool in the pan for a couple of minutes then turn out onto a wire rack removing the paper underneath in the process.
- Allow to cool..
TO MAKE THE COFFEE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING: (10 MINS PREP TIME)
- In a mixing bowl add the butter and salt to it.
- Beat until light in colour and smooth
- Sift the Icing Sugar to remove any lumps and add it to the bowl with the butter in it along with the coffee mixture.
- Beat continually until it is all very well combined.
TO ASSEMBLE THE CAKE:
- Cut through the middle on each of the cakes to make 4 layers.
- With each layer put a few scoops of the buttercream on the cake and spread out (you don’t have to have the layers thick with buttercream – thin layers are fine.)
- Stack all the layers on top of each other.
- With the leftover buttercream using a knife scrape it around the sides of the cake.