About this Recipe
By: Simone Christensen
As a teenager my mother always made this chocolate cream sponge (minus the Baileys) for our birthdays, we loved it so much that it was always something we looked forward to each year. Since then my oldest son who is now 28 has always requested this cake for his birthday each year that he is at home. Tonight I made it for him as a treat because we have missed the past 3 birthdays with him living elsewhere.
It’s such a quick and simple cake to make. If you purchase a pre-made chocolate sponge from a local bakery like I did it will take about 20 mins to prepare and make the chocolate cream.
Once the cream has been layered between the sponge, make sure you leave it in the fridge for a couple of hours for the cream flavour to blend in with the chocolate sponge.
- Chocolate Unfilled Double Sponge, , I purchased mine from a local bakery
- 150 grams (5.2 oz) Icing Sugar, (Powdered Sugar)
- 50 grams (1.7 oz) Unsweetened Cocoa
- 600 ml (21.1 oz) Thickened Cream
- 12 grams (0.4 oz) Baileys Irish Cream
- Cut the 2 chocolate sponges in half into 2 even layers. You will have 4 layers total.
- In a bowl add cream, cocoa and icing sugar.
- Beat together for approx 7-8 minutes until the cream has thickened and has firm peaks.
- Add the Baileys Irish Cream and gently stir in with a wooden spoon.
- Place the bottom layer on cake onto a plate.
- Put a couple of dollops of cream evenly over the cake then place another layer of cake on top of the cream.
- Repeat with the cream and cake layers until you have 4 layers of cake and 4 layers of cream.
- With remaining cream spread it around the outer edge of the cake.
- Place in the fridge for a couple of hours until ready to serve.